Apple has updated their Pages, Numbers and Keynote courses and certifications recently under a new name: Apple Productivity App Certifications.
Previously, there was a single 2 day iWork course and 1 exam for all 3 Apps. Now, Apple has released a 3 day course, (1 day per App), and a separate exam for each App.
So now, if you do not want to learn about all 3 Apps, you can now just attend the day for the App you wish to learn and take a dedicated exam just for that App.
Over the last few weeks I have been busy learning the new Apps and working my way through the certifications. I recently passed my Apple Certified Trainer exam for all 3 productivity Apps and I’m now ready to teach you how to:
- be more productive when creating letters, brochures, business cards, or posters in Pages.
- analyze budgets, track personnel, and create fantastic charts and graphs to illustrate data in Numbers.
- make cinema-quality presentations to communicate ideas, share recorded versions of slideshows, and use the timing and rehearsal tools to make timely, well-paced presentations in Keynote.
To quote the official Apple Pro Training Series course book:
The aim throughout the course is to give you a concise but comprehensive insight into the Apple productivity applications by working through real-world scenarios and exercises. In working through the lessons, you may identify real-world tasks you need to perform and discover solutions to your own productivity questions.
The course is half trainer presentation and half hands-on exercises, with demonstrations and plenty of time for students to try out their own ideas and presentations.
Apple Certified Pro status is offered to those who attend the courses and pass the certification exams offered separately in Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. These exams test knowledge and performance.
Apple Certified Pro status will:
- Differentiate yourself and your business
- Gain recognition for technical competency
- Build credibility with clients and employers
- Increase visibility and enhance your reputation in a competitive marketplace
- Publicize your certifications on the Apple Certified Professionals Registry
- Display your personalized certificate and a logo that distinguishes you as an Apple Certified professional
Pages day: Publishing with Pages
You will use Pages to create a report; import text from Microsoft Word; and add charts, graphs, web links and rich media to your document. You will format text and apply style sheets, as well as create a table of contents and manage headers and footers.
Furthermore, you’ll use Pages as a page layout tool to create brochures, posters, and business cards. You will learn how to design and produce polished documents, and then publish them electronically and in print.
Pages 5.5 Course Agenda
- Approaches to Word Processing: The course starts with introducing the Pages user interface including : Creating a new document using a template, Customizing page design, Creating and applying styles, Saving styles for bullets and lists, Making a table of contents, Managing headers and footers, Changing the page order, Keeping headers with the following paragraph, Saving to Microsoft Word and PDF formats, Opening and editing a Word document, Tabulating text.
- Working with Charts and Data: The power of Pages is the ability to create quality documents from a collection of data sources, then optimise and display that content. This second chapter takes a close look at how to create clear, but eye catching Documents, including : Opening a Pages ’09 document, Using a table to add data, Formatting tables, Creating list structures, Presenting data using charts, Creating chart styles, Using footnotes and endnotes, Checking a document for errors.
- Designing a Brochure: Professional looking brochures are often hard to create if you are not creative. Pages has a built-in page layout mode specifically to be used as a design tool. This third chapter explains how to perform : Changing to page layout, Making a logotype, Changing page order, Enhancing images, Creating shape styles, Formatting table styles, Preparing for print, Taking part in a document review.
- Building Promotional Materials: Essentials to many companies is the ability to have strong and clear advertising. This chapter will explain how to accomplish : Creating business cards, Making posters, Starting with a blank canvas, Defining placeholder images, Defining placeholder text, Saving designs as templates.
- Creating Rich Media ePubs: Creating a quality document is only half the task. In today’s digital word, printing documents to paper is not the only method or preferred method for reading. This chapter will cover the essentials to creating digital documents, including : Preparing a document for ePub, Working with inline graphics, Creating character styles, Adding movies to Pages, Adding audio to Pages, Exporting to ePub, Previewing in iBooks.
- Pages for iOS and iCloud: The course wraps up with an overview of using Pages for iOS and iCloud. We will look at how to create and move a document between iOS, iCloud, and OS X including : Signing in to iCloud, Using Pages for iOS, Formatting documents, Adding photos, Setting a document password, Opening an iOS document on your Mac, Moving a Mac document to iCoud Drive, Editing Pages without an Apple device.
Numbers day: Organizing and Illustrating Data Using Numbers
Numbers is a great application for organizing and analyzing data. You will use Numbers to create a budget planner for a new business. This exercise will highlight some of the 250 available functions. Table and cell formatting options will teach you how to use interactive sliders, checkboxes, steppers, and pop-up menus to keep data input under control. You’ll also use charts, text and photos to illustrate technical information.
Numbers 3.5 Course Agenda
- Organizing Data Using Numbers: The course starts with introducing the Numbers user interface including : Assessing templates, Working with sheets, Making a budget sheet, Adding calculations, Working with multiple tables, Printing from Numbers.
- Making Interactive Spreadsheets: The power of Numbers is the ability to create quality spreadsheets with an intuitive data entry system. This second chapter takes a close look at how to create clear, but eye catching spreadsheets, including : Opening and upgrading a Numbers ’09 document, Opening and editing an Excel workbook, Formatting tables, Referencing data, Evaluating data formats, Adding conditional highlighting, Using password protection.
- Making Customized Calculators: Understanding how to input calculations correctly into a table and display the information correctly is a common challenge with spreadsheets. Numbers is specifically designed to make it easy to create and customise tables. This third chapter explains : Understanding relative and absolute cell referencing, Concatenating cells, Sorting tables, Filtering tables, Making a pricing calculator.
- Illustrating Data Using Charts: Creating and displaying charts clearly is another tough task. This chapter will cover the essentials to creating quality charts, including : Opening a CSV file, Creating a stacked bar chart, Making a mixed chart, Using interactive chart types, Showing a margin of error, Building a scatter chart, Saving a template.
- Numbers for iOS and iCloud: The course wraps up with an overview of using Numbers for iOS and iCloud. We will look at how to create and move a document between iOS, iCloud, and OS X including : Signing in to iCloud, Using Numbers for iOS, Formatting documents, Setting a document password, Opening an iOS document on your Mac, Moving a Mac document to iCloud Drive, Using Numbers forms on iOS.
Keynote Day : Make Compelling Presentations with Keynote
In Keynote, you’ll develop presentations by organizing and sequencing ideas. You’ll modify Apple-designed templates to create new slide designs. Then you’ll quickly build and add logos, photos, charts, and animation for your presentation. Using presenter view to display a timer and speaker notes, you will rehearse your show before delivering it in a variety of formats.
Keynote 6.5 Course Agenda
- Outlining a Presentation: The course starts with introducing the Keynote user interface including : Creating a presentation, Customizing your workspace, Adding slides, Opening a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation in Keynote, Working with Text, Fonts, Colours and Shapes, Recording and deleting slides, Working in outline view, Adding slide transitions, Using builds and Applying Themes.
- Making Media-Rich Presentations: The power of Keynote is the ability to optimise and display quality content. This second chapter takes a close look at how to achieve Media-Rich Presentations, including : Making a slide background, Updating a paragraph style, Creating new slides by dragging files, Reordering slides using the light table, How to create and edit Tables, Graphs and Charts, Working with images, photos, audio files and movie files, Using transitions to create moods, Adding an audio soundtrack, Controlling a presentation with builds, Layering objects with master slides, Build animations using actions.
- Developing a Custom Theme: Essential for most professional presentations is a standardised custom Theme. Perhaps displaying the company logo or font set. This third chapter explains in detail how to achieve this including : Selecting master slides, Updating paragraph styles, Modifying image placeholders, Placing objects on master slides, Saving Themes.
- Rehearsing and Delivering a Presentation: Creating a quality presentation is only half the task. Being able to deliver that presentation professionally can sometimes be harder than creating the content. This chapter will cover the essentials to delivering a polished presentation, including : Playing a slideshow, Rehearsing a slideshow, Using an iOS device as a remote control, Recording a narrated, self-playing presentation, Creating a self-playing slideshow, Designing a presentation with links, Importing, Exporting, Sharing and Printing your presentations, Making Keynote handouts, Performing presentation preflight checks including Tools and Tips for Presenting, Advanced presentation techniques and Keynote Shortcuts, tutorials and tips.
- Keynote for iOS and iCloud: The course wraps up with an overview of using Keynote for iOS and iCloud. We will look at how to create and move a presentation between iOS, iCloud, and OS X including : Signing in to iCloud, Using Keynote for iOS, Formatting documents, Adding photos and video, Setting a document password, Opening an iOS document on your Mac, Moving a Mac document to iCoud Drive.
Who should attend the Pages, Numbers, and Keynote course?
- Anyone who needs to learn how to create visual and professional documents, complex spreadsheets or eye catching presentations.
- Professionals wishing to understand some of the more advanced features Pages, Numbers, and Keynote have to offer.
- Existing Pages, Numbers, and Keynote users who have upgraded from iWork ’09 and require updated knowledge of changes and new features.
- Those who wish to pass the Pages, Numbers, and Keynote Certification exams and achieve the Apple Certified Professional (ACP) certification.
The benefits of attending the Apple Productivity App courses
Students who have successfully completed our Productivity courses feel that it provides them with the key knowledge required to create polished and professional documents for both work and for home.
You will learn how to create and deliver informative yet engaging, professional documents for your company, school, club or team. Creating professional Brochures, Business cards, Posters or Flyers to help promote or advertise. If your business needs to create sophisticated spreadsheets with interactive charts or tables to visualise data or needs to create and deliver clear but professional presentations, this course will help you to achieve these goals. Also, many Mac users find that they are familiar with Microsoft Office but struggling to transition to Apple’s Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.
For more information about these exciting new training courses or to register your interest click here: