20th April, 2018: Apple has determined that, in a limited number of 13-inch MacBook Pro (non Touch Bar) units, a component may fail causing the built-in battery to expand. This is not a safety issue and Apple will replace eligible batteries, free of charge. Affected units were manufactured between October 2016 and October 2017 and eligibility is determined by the product serial number.
Is my Macbook Pro eligible?
Use the serial number checker on the Apple website to see if your device qualifies for this program. If your 13-inch MacBook Pro (non Touch Bar) has an eligible serial number, Apple will replace the battery, free of charge.
This program does not affect 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar or older 13-inch MacBook Pro models.
How to find your serial number
- Choose Apple menu > About This Mac. The window that appears lists your computer’s model name—for example, MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)—and serial number
- Close your MacBook Pro and turn it over. The serial number is on the underside of the computer, near the regulatory markings
- If you still have the original packaging for your MacBook Pro, you can find the serial number on a barcode label on the box
Book an Appointment
If you have questions or need further assistance, please contact Amsys Support.
Appointments are for eligible battery replacements at our centre in 44 Poland Street, London, W1. You don’t need an appointment, but they are free and avoid you having to queue.
- If you’re trying to book an appointment for anything other than an eligible battery replacement, please use the general appointment bookers for iPhones or Macs
- Your MacBook or MacBook Pro will be examined prior to any service to verify that it is eligible for this program
- The service turn-around time may vary depending upon the type of service and availability of replacement parts
- The program covers affected MacBook Pro models for 5 years after the first retail sale of the unit.
- To prepare your unit for service, please backup your data
- If your 13-inch MacBook Pro has any damage which impairs the service, that issue will need to be repaired first. In some cases, there may be a cost associated with the repair
- This worldwide Apple program does not extend the standard warranty coverage of your MacBook or MacBook Pro
- If you believe your 13-inch MacBook Pro was affected by this issue, and you paid to have your keyboard repaired, you can contact Apple about a refund