You all probably know that Apple’s next operating system for the Mac is called macOS High Sierra.
High Sierra introduces new core technologies that improve the most functions of your Mac. From re-architecting how it stores your data to improving how you watch videos to unleashing the full power of the graphics processors.
Some of the new features are a new file system, better Photos app, faster Safari, next-level Metal and many other features
First you need to check if you ready:
All Macs introduced in mid 2010 or later are compatible. MacBook and iMac computers introduced in late 2009 are also compatible.
How to find your model
Backup your Mac
it should all go smoothly but just in case you need it.
Learn how to back up your Mac
Sign up for the Apple Beta Software Programme
You will need an Apple ID to sign to Beta Program
Apple ID’s gives you access to all Apple services, like iCloud and the App Store.
Signup for BetaProgram
Now that your ready lets browse some of macOS High Sierra features
A new file system
Apple has been using HFS+ file system ever since System 8, but at last year’s WWDC, a new Apple File System (APFS) was announced.
APFS will be new the new default file system, bringing an advanced 64-bit architecture and a responsive design to cut down on the time it takes to do common tasks.
Photos is one of the most commonly used apps on our Mac. High Sierra brings new features including better organisation, looped Live Photos, and new Memories categories.
It’ll also be easier to identify who’s in your photos with more accurate People identification and cross-device syncing for albums.
in Apple’s words “More ways to edit. More ways to organise. More ways to wow.”
New Safari will eliminate, what I consider to be one of the more annoying features of the modern web; autoplay videos.
Where current Safari tells you which tab is playing audio, in High Sierra, it will shut the video down before it can start.
Safari 11 also has the option to let you view sites in Reader mode all the time.
Metal was introduced in El Capitan, High Sierra brings next generation, appropriately called Metal 2.
The new technology will open up games to a whole new world of power, with a new API and powerful tools for developers.
Metal 2 will bring 10 times the draw call throughput that Metal delivered, enabling graphics that are far more robust while adding external GPU support for hard-core gamers.
Some other features
– Notes, you can better organise your information by using a formatted table and now you can pin your favourite notes.
– Siri has a more natural voice that sounds more like a person than a machine.
– Spotlight will provide flight information, and can show multiple Wikipedia results when there’s more than one answer to your question.
– New emoji’s, who doesn’t want more emoji’s?!
– There are also some changes in Mail, Search will now use Spotlight to quickly identify top hits, and you’ll be able to split your inbox and your compose window when in full-screen view. Also, Mail has been optimised so it uses less space on your storage device.
– FaceTime lets you capture the moment, both participants receive a notification that the photo was taken, and the Live Photo goes into your Photos library.
I hope this helps and you feel ready now for the upgrade. BTW always make sure you have taken a full back up before you upgrade.