OS X Support Essentials 10.10
Now updated for Yosemite.
Why take the OS X Support Essentials 10.10 course:
+ Does your company suddenly have users wanting to use Macs, yet your IT department are all Windows techs?
+ Are you a Mac fanatic who wants to know what makes them tick?
+ Would you like to boost your resume and add a Mac certification to your list?
If the answer to any of these is ‘yes’, then why not attend the OS X Support Essentials 10.10 course.
The main goal of this course is to introduce technicians to the basic techniques for using Apple’s tools for installing, configuring and troubleshooting OS X.
The first day covers OS X Installation and Configuration, focusing on initial installation and setup, to software updates, user account creation and management and file system security. The second day looks into usage management. Permissions, System resources, Compression and backup solutions, Application and Document management. The final day takes attendees through Networking. From basic theory, to configuration and troubleshooting. The afternoon wraps up the course with a collection of system troubleshooting chapters.
- Understand OS X installation. How to configure a clean system and perform upgrades. OS X Recovery features and usage.
- Software Updates and the Mac App Store explained. How to check for and apply updates correctly.
- What are the various User Accounts types. Their differences and features. Creating, managing and securing user accounts. Password management and resets.
- How to secure the Mac software and hardware. Encryption and firmware locking.
- Explanation of the OS X file system permission sets. Viewing and fixing permissions, accessing hidden items and system resources.
- How to correctly compress data and backup data.
- App installation and troubleshooting. Document creation and management.
- How traditional TCP/IP networking applies to OS X. How to configure and troubleshoot IP Addresses.
- How to configure and monitor peripheral connections in OS X.
- In-depth explanation of the OS X startup process.
- Various startup boot modes to resolve system issues.
- How to save time and money by efficiently supporting your OS X users.
Plus much more!
- Help desk specialists, technical coordinators, service technicians or IT professionals who need to effectively support users of OS X systems.
- Technical support personnel in businesses that use Macs for general productivity or creative design.
- Technical coordinators or power users who manage networks of computers running OS X, such as teachers and technology specialists who manage classroom networks or computer labs.
- Resellers, distributors, systems integrators, and consultants who are selling Mac computers.
Students should have the following prerequisite knowledge prior to attending this course:
The Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP) 10.10 certification is granted on successful completion of the OS X Support Essentials v10.10 exam. This course is also the first module of two for the Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC) certification.
- Installation and Configuration: Prepare and partition the drive, install OS X Yosemite, use the installer log files to verify a successful installation, booting to OS X Recovery, configure OS X Yosemite with the Setup Assistant, installing configuration profiles, tips and techniques for troubleshooting an installation problem.
- Users Accounts: Create and manage user accounts, create and manage administrator accounts, locate directory attributes, security, resetting passwords and managing Keychain passwords.
- File Systems: File systems supported by OS X Yosemite, Disk Utility and file repair. Full disk encryption via Filevault 2. File sharing permissions and troubleshooting.
- Data Management: The root volume, file system layout, preferences, managing hidden items, file types unique to OS X Yosemite (i.e., resource forks and packages), Metadata in OS X, Spotlight, file archives, disk images. archiving and restoring data with Time Machine, managing backup data, how to access the data outside of Time Machine.
- Applications and Processes: Applications supported in OS X Yosemite, application security, installation and troubleshooting of applications, uninstalling applications, managing Gatekeeper, Quick Look, advanced features such as auto save, versions, resume and iCloud integration. New iCloud Drive feature explored.
- Network Configuration: Basic networking configuration, TCP/IP networking, Ethernet, Wi-Fi, multiple network connections, appropriate use of network locations, isolating and troubleshooting network elements and using VPN.
- Network Services: Connecting to common network resources, AFP, SMB, SSH, FTP, and WebDAV connections, Bonjour, NetBIOS, the network browser, isolating client software issues from network issues. Enabling network services on a OS X Yosemite client, peer-to-peer collaboration, screen sharing, AirDrop, firewall as well as techniques to isolate server issues from client and network issues.
- System Management: Connecting peripherals to a Mac, cabling, connections, device drivers for common peripherals. Troubleshooting boot issues with a Mac at startup, phases of the startup process, which part of the system is active during each phase, issues that can arise, automatic process launching with launchd and login window startup items.
Why not attend our 3 day OS X Server Essentials 10.10 course, which is the sister course to OS X Support Essentials for ACTC certification.
You may also be interested in the following Apple Certification courses:
OS X Support Essentials 10.10
Q: Why Amsys Training?
A: At Amsys Training we offer the full range of Apple Certified OS X Technical Training Courses and have partnered with the best in the business to give you access to courses and instructors to meet all your technical and application training requirements. Our locations in South and Central London and Manchester give you the choice to train where it is most convenient.
We also offer a “classroom in a box” where we can deliver on-site training to companies who would prefer this option.
At Amsys our specialist Trainers and Consultants have unequalled experience at delivering both bespoke and Certified Training courses, contributing real world experiences to all training courses.
Q: I see you’re an Apple Authorised Training Centre (AATC); What does this mean?
A: We are indeed an Apple Authorised Training Centre, and we have an excellent relationship with Apple. To become an Apple Authorised Training Centre both the training environment and trainers must meet Apple’s high standards. Our trainers are frequently tested by Apple to ensure we offer the best training experience possible. Where available we only offer official Apple training courses with official Apple course material.
Q: Is Amsys purely a training company?
A: As well as training, Amsys is an Apple Authorised Service Provider offering repairs on all of Apple’s desktop and portable machines. We also have a support and consultancy division for businesses and educational organisations and a specialised Apple technical recruitment division.
Booking a Course
Q: How do I book a course?
A: If you would like to book a course you can do this in a number of ways. We have an on-line booking page or phone 0208 645806 and speak to one of the training team.
Q: If I have a question or need more information who can I contact?
A: A member of the training team will gladly help you. You can email them at email@example.com or if you would like to speak to someone then please call us on 020 8645 5806.
Q: Where do I find your course schedule?
A: Our full course schedule can be found on every training web page at the top of the page under the main site menu or you can click here. If you view a course description page, the description page also lists the next available dates. We try to maintain a course schedule for the next 3 months.
Q: Where can I find your Terms and Conditions?
A: Our Terms and Conditions can be found here
Courses & Exams
Q: What is the agenda for a typical training day?
A: A usual course will start at 9:30am and finish around 5pm. Courses begin promptly, so we encourage trainees to come in at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start time to enjoy refreshments and get settled in. A 1 hour lunch break will be provided approximately halfway through the course, as well as two 15 minute breaks.
Q: How many trainees are in each course?
A: For the optimal training experience, courses are capped at 8 people for the more complex server courses and 10 for the client courses. Each trainee is provided their own system and materials.
Q: Are there any prerequisites for training courses?
A: Prerequisites vary depending on the course you are considering. All prerequisites are listed on the course detail page.
Q: When can I take the exam?
A: The certified exams are administered at the end of the final day of each course. The instructor offers a review session and tips to best prepare you for the exam. The time allotted for the exam is 2 hours.
Q: What happens if I’m not ready to take the exam on the final day of the course?
A: If you feel you’re not ready to take the exam, you are welcome to come back to Amsys at a later day to take the exam. You can contact a member of the Amsys training team to arrange this.
Q: What happens if I don’t pass the exam?
A: You are welcome to retake the exam, at a fee of £85. The retake must be taken at least 7 days after the previous take.
Q: What Apple certifications are available?
A: For IT professionals Apple offer 4 certifications, Apple Certified Associate (ACA), Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP), Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC) and Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT).
Further information on these certifications can be found on our certification guide here. If you are not sure which certification to take please contact a member of our training team.
Q: What is a valid form of payment?
A: We accept Visa, Mastercard, company purchase orders and personal checks. Payment must be made before the course has started
Q: What if I have a confirmed seat in the class and then have to cancel or postpone it?
A: It depends on the amount of notice you are able to provide and if we are able to fill the open slot. For a full explanation, please take a look at our terms and conditions.
Do you offer any kind of installment plan?
Yes, for those wishing to spread the payment, we can offer a 3 part plan. We’d request the initial third to be paid at the time of booking, or shortly after. A third to be made by the start date of your chosen course, and the remaining third to be received within 6 weeks of your course finishing. No interest would be applied to this.