iOS App Development – The Fundamentals
Why Take This Course:
Now Updated for Xcode 6 and iOS 8
Learn to use the iOS SDK, Xcode, and Interface Builder to develop native iPhone and iPad applications.
Our rapidly-paced, hands-on courses will get you comfortable quickly with the language, the tools, and the frameworks, while giving you deep insights into their underlying mechanisms.
All our development courses are taught by developers who have developed real world applications.
This course has been updated for iOS 8 and Xcode 6.
Learn to use Xcode, Interface Builder, and the UIKit framework to develop iOS applications that take full advantage of many of the powerful and sophisticated features of this amazing platform.
- Get up to speed fast on Xcode and Interface Builder.
- Learn most of the common frameworks used in iOS development.
- Build a variety of apps including a simple news reader, multi view apps as well as utilising all the common controls such as buttons, switches, sliders, tables, maps etc.
- Learn how to design, code, build, and debug iPhone and iPad applications.
- Learn how take advantage of iPad specific features such as split views and popup menus.
- Craft native iPhone applications
- Anatomy of an Application: Understand what makes up an iOS application, including how it runs, resources it has access to and the sandboxed environment it runs under.
- Model View Controller: Understand the principal design architecture of an iOS application, the model, view, controller.
- Basic Interaction: Learn how to build a very simple application that interacts with buttons and text fields.
- UIControls: Understand how to use other control methods such as sliders, text fields, segments, switches, actions sheets and alerts.
- Scrolling: Learn how to create scrollable areas within your application, including the ability to scroll images, zoom images and page between a series of images.
- Views: Understand how views work and behave. Learn how to swap views to create dynamic applications.
- iOS 7 and iOS 8: Learn how to design apps that will run on both iOS 7 and iOS 8.
- Navigation Controllers: Learn how to create multi-level apps that lets you navigate through your data through a series of more detailed views.
- Pickers: Pickers are views that presents the user with a set of rotating wheels to allow them to select a value from a list.
- Tables: Learn how to create and populate tables to represent data sets. Learn how to customise the view of the tables and cells.
- Tab Bars: Learn how to create Tab Bars for utility style applications.
- Persistence: Learn how to save data to xml files on the local file system. Useful to save user date or preference for the app itself.
- RSS and json: Learn how to access an RSS and json feed from a web server.
- Auto Layout: Learn how to use auto layout to make you app work with different size screens or handle rotation.
- Adaptive Layout: Learn how to use size classes to build user interfaces that adapter to any screen size.
- Split View Controllers: Learn how to utilise split view controllers introduced with the iPad.
- UIWeb Views: Learn how to display live dynamic web pages directly in your application.
- Storyboards: Learn how to use the latest feature of iOS 7 to prototype you applications views and navigation.
- Collection Views: Learn how to utilise collections views to create grid like applications.
- Local Notifications: Learn how to schedule and respond to local notifications.
- MapKit: Learn how to display maps, navigate to certain locations and drop pins as markers.
- Gestures: Learn how add gestures to your apps to make them more dynamic.
- Physics Engine: Learn how add custom physic effects to your app to make a more dynamic interface.
- Have some experience of ‘C’ and Objective-C.
- Are interested in learning the iOS SDK to develop code for the iPhone/iPad platform.
iOS App Development – The Fundamentals
Q: Why Amsys Training?
A: At Amsys Training we offer the full range of Apple Certified OS X Technical Training Courses and have partnered with the best in the business to give you access to courses and instructors to meet all your technical and application training requirements. Our locations in South and Central London and Manchester give you the choice to train where it is most convenient.
We also offer a “classroom in a box” where we can deliver on-site training to companies who would prefer this option.
At Amsys our specialist Trainers and Consultants have unequalled experience at delivering both bespoke and Certified Training courses, contributing real world experiences to all training courses.
Q: I see you’re an Apple Authorised Training Centre (AATC); What does this mean?
A: We are indeed an Apple Authorised Training Centre, and we have an excellent relationship with Apple. To become an Apple Authorised Training Centre both the training environment and trainers must meet Apple’s high standards. Our trainers are frequently tested by Apple to ensure we offer the best training experience possible. Where available we only offer official Apple training courses with official Apple course material.
Q: Is Amsys purely a training company?
A: As well as training, Amsys is an Apple Authorised Service Provider offering repairs on all of Apple’s desktop and portable machines. We also have a support and consultancy division for businesses and educational organisations and a specialised Apple technical recruitment division.
Booking a Course
Q: How do I book a course?
A: If you would like to book a course you can do this in a number of ways. We have an on-line booking page or you can download a booking form here and fax it back to Amsys on 020 8763 9332.
Q: If I have a question or need more information who can I contact?
A: A member of the training team will gladly help you. You can email them at email@example.com or if you would like to speak to someone then please call us on 020 8645 5806.
Q: Where do I find your course schedule?
A: Our full course schedule can be found on every training web page at the top of the page under the main site menu or you can click here. If you view a course description page, the description page also lists the next available dates. We try to maintain a course schedule for the next 3 months.
Q: Where can I find your Terms and Conditions?
A: Our Terms and Conditions can be found at http://www.amsys.co.uk/training/tac.html
Courses & Exams
Q: What is the agenda for a typical training day?
A: A usual course will start at 9:30am and finish around 5pm. Courses begin promptly, so we encourage trainees to come in at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start time to enjoy refreshments and get settled in. A 1 hour lunch break will be provided approximately halfway through the course, as well as two 15 minute breaks.
Q: How many trainees are in each course?
A: For the optimal training experience, courses are capped at 8 people for the more complex server courses and 10 for the client courses. Each trainee is provided their own system and materials.
Q: Are there any prerequisites for training courses?
A: Prerequisites vary depending on the course you are considering. All prerequisites are listed on the course detail page.
Q: When can I take the exam?
A: The certified exams are administered at the end of the final day of each course. The instructor offers a review session and tips to best prepare you for the exam. The time allotted for the exam is 2 hours.
Q: What happens if I’m not ready to take the exam on the final day of the course?
A: If you feel you’re not ready to take the exam, you are welcome to come back to Amsys at a later day to take the exam. You can contact a member of the Amsys training team to arrange this.
Q: What happens if I don’t pass the exam?
A: You are welcome to retake the exam, at a fee of £85. The retake must be taken at least 7 days after the previous take.
Q: What Apple certifications are available?
A: For IT professionals Apple offer 4 certifications, Apple Certified Associate (ACA), Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP), Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC) and Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT).
Further information on these certifications can be found on our certification guide here. If you are not sure which certification to take please contact a member of our training team.
Q: What is a valid form of payment?
A: We accept Visa, Mastercard, company purchase orders and personal checks. Payment must be made before the course has started
Q: What if I have a confirmed seat in the class and then have to cancel or postpone it?
A: It depends on the amount of notice you are able to provide and if we are able to fill the open slot. For a full explanation, please take a look at our terms and conditions.