Advanced Deployment 10.9
Why Take This Course:
The Amsys OS X Deployment v10.9 training course is a 3 day leader led course with plenty of hands on labs that provides a really in-depth look at how to deploy OS X systems.
The course covers a range of topics starting with comprehensive planing of a new deployment of Macs, providing students with better awareness of how to develop a stable deployment strategy. Then investigating all methods of deployment from deploying single files to the deployment of multiple OS X systems.
Through out the course students will use a number of Apple tools including NetBoot & the NetInstall Service, Software Update Server, Caching Service, Profile Manager, Remote Desktop, System Image Utility and Package Maker. This course also offers an introduction to the DeployStudio deployment package, which offers some great features to optimise Mac Deployment.
- This class is for Mac OS X system administrators who need to know how to streamline the process of installing and configuring a large number of computers running OS X.
- Deployment Planning: The course starts with an overview of what planning is required to develop a strategy for a deployment scenario.
- Deploying Individual Items and Containers: Deployment can often involve just single files, archives and containers that need to be installed or updated to an OS X system. We will look at how to use Apple’s Remote Desktop software and OS X Server for this purpose. There is also an explanation of the differences between packages, bundles and archives as well as handling legacy OS resource forks. Mavericks’ GateKeeper security feature is also covered.
- Installation Packages: How Apple’s installer technology works for software distribution, including how to create custom installation packages using GUI tools and the command line.
There is also a dedicated lesson covering two alternative installation solutions, the open-source project Munki and the commercial Casper Suite.
- Creating Entire System Images: Learn how to create full system images for a complete deployment of OS X Mavericks. Understand the differences between cloned systems and modular systems. Learn how to completely customise system images, which is a useful tool in your arsenal when deploying macs. This lesson provides students with the knowledge to achieve this.
- Deploying System Images: Install and configure Apple’s NetInstall service for Deployment. Creating and managing NetBoot, NetRestore and NetInstall System Images.
- Post Imaging Deployment Considerations and System Maintenance: In this chapter we will discuss the various techniques available to apply post installation configuration such as setting the Firmware password, modifying preferences and Post Imaging Serialization. Learn how to keep your OS X clients updated via the Apple Software Update sever or the Mavericks’ Caching Service. Additionally, a range of features available through Remote Desktop are discussed.
- Deploying Macs with DeployStudio: Finally, we will take a look at the DeployStudio deployment package for additional Deployment features which work perfectly with Apple’s NetInstall service. Through a collection of hands on labs you will be able to configure pre and post imaging scripts to perform common tasks such as naming computers, binding to active directory and configuring other computer specific settings.