Advanced Deployment 10.10
Why Take The Advanced Deployment 10.10 Course:
Are you ready to deploy a fleet of Mac devices? Do you know what’s involved and how to ensure you can keep your Mac estate up to date?
If not, then attend the Amsys Advanced Deployment course.
During this three day, hands-on course, you will discover how to expertly deploy OS X systems. You will also learn how to use a range of Apple and Third Party deployment tools.
- How to plan and develop a comprehensive, stable Mac Deployment strategy including customizing deployed systems and implementation of all methods of deployment, from deploying single files to multiple OS X Systems.
- Create a comprehensive Deployment planning checklist and Service-Level Agreement (SLA).
- How to create, deploy and enforce Usage Policies on Apple devices.
- Understand how the OS X Yosemite file system functions and how it handles file, folder and package installation.
- Archiving and compressing techniques, OS X Disk Image (.dmg) features, creation and deployment.
- Understand OS X installer Packages. Creating, customising, securing and deploying installer packages.
- How the Mac App Store works. Ownership of Apps, downloading Apps, Volume License Agreement (VLA) and Volume Purchase Program (VPP).
- Managed Distribution of Apps and leveraging an MDM (Mobile Device Management) solution.
- How to use a range of Apple tools, including NetBoot & NetInstall Service, Remote Desktop, Software Update Server, Caching Service, Profile Manager, and much more.
- Understand the built-in security features of OS X (such as GateKeeper and FileVault 2) and how to work with these during Deployment.
- DeployStudio Deployment package, which offers some great features to optimise Mac Deployment.
- Third Party imaging and deployment tools including, Iceberg, Packages, AutoPkg, Munki and Casper.
- Techniques to automate post deployment settings and configuration including OS X Scripting techniques, OS X Command Line configuration and file system manipulation.
Plus much more!
- OS X system administrators.
- If you need to know how to streamline the process of installing and configuring a large number of computers running OS X.
- If you’re an existing Mac support tech and want to upgrade your knowledge and skill set.
- Deployment Planning: The course starts with an overview of what planning is required to develop a strategy for a deployment scenario.
- Deploying Individual Items and Containers: Deployment can often involve just single files, archives and containers that need to be installed or updated to an OS X system. We will look at how to use Apple’s Remote Desktop software and OS X Server for this purpose. We will look at App deployment options including VPP and managed app distribution via an MDM solution.
There is also an explanation of the differences between packages, bundles and archives as well as handling legacy OS resource forks. The GateKeeper security feature is also covered here.
- Installation Packages: How Apple’s installer technology works for software distribution, including how to create custom installation packages using GUI tools and the command line. Third-Party imaging tools such as Iceberg, Packages and AutoPkg also also discussed. There is also a dedicated lesson covering two alternative installation solutions, the open-source project Munki and the commercial Casper Suite
- Creating Entire System Images: Learn how to create full system images for a complete deployment of OS X Yosemite. Understand the differences between cloned systems and modular systems. How to completely customise system images is a useful tool in your arsenal when deploying macs. This chapter provides students with the knowledge to achieve this.
- Deploying System Images: Install and configure Apple’s NetInstall service for Deployment. Creating and managing NetBoot, NetRestore and NetInstall System Images. Dealing with security configuration and FileVault 2 deployment is also covered.
- Post Imaging Deployment Considerations and System Maintenance: In this chapter we will discuss the various techniques available to apply post installation configuration such as setting the Firmware password, modifying preferences and Post Imaging Serialization. Command-Line Configuration is covered along with scripting techniques. MDM solution management such as Profile Manager and scripting post deployment settings will be discussed. Learn how to keep your OS X clients updated via the Apple Software Update sever or the Caching Service. Additionally, a range of features available through Apple Remote Desktop are discussed.
- Deploying Macs with DeployStudio: Finally, we will take a look at the DeployStudio deployment package for additional Deployment features which work perfectly with Apple’s NetInstall service. Through a collection of hands on labs you will be able to configure pre and post imaging scripts to perform common tasks such as naming computers, binding to active directory and configuring other computer specific settings.
If you would like to delve deeper into OS X, why not try one or more of our other Advanced OS X Courses:
OS X Advanced Server 10.10 – provides an advanced and extensive insight into how OS X Server works, covering many hidden command line features.
Active Directory Open Directory Integration 10.10 – which looks further into integrating OS X Yosemite clients and OS X Server with Active Directory and Open Directory.
Do you also have iOS devices to deploy and manage? Then book one or more of our iOS IT Courses:
iOS 8 Support and Troubleshooting – designed to demonstrate and discuss how to configure and support Apple’s iOS devices.
iOS 8 Deployment in the Enterprise - which covers all the skills necessary to deploy, manage and secure iPhones/iPads in business and education environments.
Advanced Deployment 10.10
Q: Why Amsys Training?
A: At Amsys Training we offer the full range of Apple Certified OS X Technical Training Courses and have partnered with the best in the business to give you access to courses and instructors to meet all your technical and application training requirements. Our locations in South and Central London and Manchester give you the choice to train where it is most convenient.
We also offer a “classroom in a box” where we can deliver on-site training to companies who would prefer this option.
At Amsys our specialist Trainers and Consultants have unequalled experience at delivering both bespoke and Certified Training courses, contributing real world experiences to all training courses.
Q: I see you’re an Apple Authorised Training Centre (AATC); What does this mean?
A: We are indeed an Apple Authorised Training Centre, and we have an excellent relationship with Apple. To become an Apple Authorised Training Centre both the training environment and trainers must meet Apple’s high standards. Our trainers are frequently tested by Apple to ensure we offer the best training experience possible. Where available we only offer official Apple training courses with official Apple course material.
Q: Is Amsys purely a training company?
A: As well as training, Amsys is an Apple Authorised Service Provider offering repairs on all of Apple’s desktop and portable machines. We also have a support and consultancy division for businesses and educational organisations and a specialised Apple technical recruitment division.
Booking a Course
Q: How do I book a course?
A: If you would like to book a course you can do this in a number of ways. We have an on-line booking page or phone 0208 645806 and speak to one of the training team.
Q: If I have a question or need more information who can I contact?
A: A member of the training team will gladly help you. You can email them at email@example.com or if you would like to speak to someone then please call us on 020 8645 5806.
Q: Where do I find your course schedule?
A: Our full course schedule can be found on every training web page at the top of the page under the main site menu or you can click here. If you view a course description page, the description page also lists the next available dates. We try to maintain a course schedule for the next 3 months.
Q: Where can I find your Terms and Conditions?
A: Our Terms and Conditions can be found here
Courses & Exams
Q: What is the agenda for a typical training day?
A: A usual course will start at 9:30am and finish around 5pm. Courses begin promptly, so we encourage trainees to come in at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start time to enjoy refreshments and get settled in. A 1 hour lunch break will be provided approximately halfway through the course, as well as two 15 minute breaks.
Q: How many trainees are in each course?
A: For the optimal training experience, courses are capped at 8 people for the more complex server courses and 10 for the client courses. Each trainee is provided their own system and materials.
Q: Are there any prerequisites for training courses?
A: Prerequisites vary depending on the course you are considering. All prerequisites are listed on the course detail page.
Q: When can I take the exam?
A: The certified exams are administered at the end of the final day of each course. The instructor offers a review session and tips to best prepare you for the exam. The time allotted for the exam is 2 hours.
Q: What happens if I’m not ready to take the exam on the final day of the course?
A: If you feel you’re not ready to take the exam, you are welcome to come back to Amsys at a later day to take the exam. You can contact a member of the Amsys training team to arrange this.
Q: What happens if I don’t pass the exam?
A: You are welcome to retake the exam, at a fee of £85. The retake must be taken at least 7 days after the previous take.
Q: What Apple certifications are available?
A: For IT professionals Apple offer 4 certifications, Apple Certified Associate (ACA), Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP), Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC) and Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT).
Further information on these certifications can be found on our certification guide here. If you are not sure which certification to take please contact a member of our training team.
Q: What is a valid form of payment?
A: We accept Visa, Mastercard, company purchase orders and personal checks. Payment must be made before the course has started
Q: What if I have a confirmed seat in the class and then have to cancel or postpone it?
A: It depends on the amount of notice you are able to provide and if we are able to fill the open slot. For a full explanation, please take a look at our terms and conditions.
Do you offer any kind of installment plan?
Yes, for those wishing to spread the payment, we can offer a 3 part plan. We’d request the initial third to be paid at the time of booking, or shortly after. A third to be made by the start date of your chosen course, and the remaining third to be received within 6 weeks of your course finishing. No interest would be applied to this.